It’s summertime and of course most of us are thinking of ways to get bikini/swimsuit ready right? What better way than to rip out those pesky hairs from the southern region right? Perhaps you read about my very first experience getting a Brazilian wax. If not make sure you do. Trust me, it’s hilarious! Once you read my story, you will likely need some tips on surviving YOUR first Brazilian should you accept the challenge:
1) Dress comfortably. Yoga pants or sweat are your friends. If you are like me, you probably wear these most days anyways.
2) You have a real excuse this time to skip the gym. No really, you want to avoid sweating so you don’t clog the pores which could result in an infection. Oh darn, I can’t work out today.
3) Make sure you have no plans for 24 hours to land the airplane on the landing strip. It needs to rest after the blacktop is removed. (Again you don’t want to clog the pores which could result in an infection)
4) Take deep breaths and try to relax. If you took birthing classes you’ll want to channel those breathing techniques. They’ll come in handy trust me!
5) Take care of your downstairs. Exfoliate, moisturize, and applying tonic all are part of the after care process. Make sure to follow the estheticians instruction on the aftercare. I highly recommend using a skin treatment designed for ingrown hair and those annoying bumps on your skin and remember to exfoliate!
6) Don’t shave just before a wax, your hair needs to be the length of an eyelash or a grain of rice in order for the wax to have something to hold onto for a proper waxing. It’s easier to work with hair that’s a little long than too short according to my waxologist.
7) Remember your first waxing is always the most painful as your hair is at its thickest and the pores are larger. The more you wax, the thinner the hair follicle and smaller the pores will get.
8) Drink lots of water. It keeps your skin supple and moist which will help deter ingrown hairs. And it’s good for you too!
9) Once you start you won’t want to stop. Seriously, you’ll LOVE it! Try to stick to a schedule, especially before swimsuit season.
10) Relax. Yeah I know that’s easier said than done but at the end of the day you’ll be glad you went through with it.
*Bonus tip: make SURE you go to a reputable salon that comes highly recommended. The last thing you want is to get an infection due to lack of sterilization or worse, end up in some questionable situation.
I would LOVE to hear about your first waxing experience. Tell me about it in the comments below!
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
As the founder of Why Not Mom; a unique online directory of mom-owned boutiques and mom-invented products, Tonia has strived to create a unique organization of female business owners, creating a diverse network that assists each other in driving more business to one another, in addition to providing tools and resources to achieve success in their business endeavors. It is her passion to make Why Not Mom the world’s largest online directory of women-owned businesses in the pursuit of strengthening families and supporting small business owners worldwide.